Hats!

Stefan Held obi at unixkiste.org
Tue Jun 5 09:24:56 UTC 2007

?

> Suse (not OpenSuse) ans Ubuntu depends a lot of theirs company sponsors, but NOT Fedora.

Have you ever seen the amount of money RH spends to run Fedora? Would
you like to take care of that? T-Shirts, Media, Infrastructure.

What do you think would happen if RH would decide to remove the support
for all that stuff? Would the community take care of all costs? So is
not every community driven Project in a friendly way dependent on theire
sponsors?

Think about FTP Mirrors all over the world.

> This is community driven, I think.

No. Community driven means we work and decide together. There is no
difference if a contributer works for google, dell, HP, Intel, redhat or
any other Company as long as he is delivering content or code to the
project i do not care if he weares a base cap with *logo, a red Hat,
yellow socks or whatever.

It doesnt even matter for me if he works for SuSe/Novell or Canonical if
he respects free Software and contributes to any upstream project, he is
part of the big community Open Source.

> Please ask Ubuntu and/or SUSE developers for that and for all
> procedures to make anything. Those are NOT community driven distros.

You mean like Core and Extras before? :)

From your point of view we are a community driven Distribution since F7?

Do you know why? Because the contributers in this "Community" have
earned the Respect and showed theire will to make something like Fedora
Work. I am pretty sure that will happen elsewhere also and then the
company will mark the Community Trustworthy to lead theire Projects.

Nothing else has happend here. So please stop saying the other projects
are not community driven because "blabla".

Sometimes it is good to have a strong leadership in a Project to simply
get things done.

--

 Stefan Held                    VI has only 2 Modes:
 obi unixkiste org              The first one is for beeping all the time,