rotating banners, first idea

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Tue Jun 5 14:01:30 UTC 2007

> Here's some mockups, I'm not really happy with any of them right
> now but
> I need to sleep :)

Yes, seeing the banners in context makes a difference.
My comments below are meant to be constructive, excuse me if they
appear harsh.

> - http://linuxgrrl.com/misc/new-mock-1.png  (bottom of sidebar)
>    - feels a little unbalanced but not too bad

I actually like this layout the best of the three. I think the reason
it seems unbalanced is because of the large white area to the right
of the logo and above the title graphic ( I won't call it a banner to
avoid confusion ).

All layouts need "breathing space" however that top area is prime
visual real estate. I think adding a tag line to that area would
benefit the layout ( of all the pages, even if no banner is used ).

> - http://linuxgrrl.com/misc/new-mock-2.png  (along top of page)
>    - im afraid this is going to be too busy unless the banners are
> carefully designed to not stand out in comparison to the main banner.

I think the banner is too close to the title graphic, they compete
visually.
If the separation line between the top part of the page with the logo
and the banners could be a little stronger, that might help. I feel
the first mock up to be a stronger possibility.

> right now they are not :) thus they are too busy.
> - http://linuxgrrl.com/misc/new-mock-3.png  (top of sidebar)
>    - a little more balanced than the other but the banners don't
> line up

Again, I think the banner and the title graphic compete too much, and
the white space between them seems uncomfortable. This also makes the
navigation less important ( farther down the page ).

I took the liberty of moving the headline above the title graphic to
demonstrate what adding _something_ to the blank area at the top
could do to balance the layout for mock up number one. I placed it on
the website of the company I work for -
<http://www.silveroaks.com/images/new-mock-4cd.png>

In that mock up, I would like to see the "What's new in Fedora . . .
" link to be bigger and maybe have the type be heavier in weight, but
for the purposes of this demonstration I thought this was sufficient.

I also am not enamored with that specific tag line for the top right
area, I simply used something that already existed in the layout and
threw it up there. I also think the color of that tag line ( grey )
is not the best solution, or even the size of the type. The baseline
of the tag line is aligned with the baseline of "infinity | freedom |
voice" however it seems a bit low. When I placed it higher, it seemed
too "floaty" for me.

One other possibility is to fade the bottom of the title graphic to
white. Since the separation between the logo and the rest of the page
is a subtle fade, adding this touch to the title graphic may add some
consistency, This would also differentiate the banner from the title
graphic.

Apologies if my comments are out of line, or if I have violated some
rule established for the design of the web site.

Charles Dostale