Fedora Repos on DVD

Thomas Chung tchung at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 18 06:30:20 UTC 2007

On 6/17/07, Dimitris Glezos <dimitris at glezos.com> wrote:
> O/H Karlie Robinson έγραψε:
> > I haven't gotten much feed back from the Fedora Community on ways to
> > boost capacity (even just keep up with..) Free Media.
>
> First of all, a big 'bravo' for all those who have helped the Free Media project
> so far. I belive these new, mostly off-broadband users who have received a free
> media have probably spread the word about Fedora more than many others who
> simply downloaded it.
>
> I've met some ambassadors who would be very interested in helping out, but found
> the whole FreeMedia project a bit complicated for them to participate. They
> prefer localized efforts, which sounds rational. They'd prefer if they received
> an email for each request in their language isntead of the web form. Also, I
> believe that eg. a greek user would prefer requesting a media from his local
> group of ambassadors instead of our (english) website.
>
> I haven't studied in depth the current approach for sending media, however I'll
> jump straight to a suggestion. Probably some of the parts following are already
> happening. It's better than keep it in one's mind I guess, so the following is
> my 2 cents to the Free media program.
>
>  1. Let's find a way to have *translatable* web page with information for which
> countries we could send media to, and which members of the community can handle
> the requests. Probably a Google map? "Find your closest Fedora shop!" This
> shouldn't be on the wiki.
>
>  2. How very easy-to-understand, minimal-content pages on "How to request".
> Should be as easy as: "Fill in this form, choose the closest *person* to you
> from the following list".
>
>  3. Have a very easy-to-understand page on how to become a volunteer. Should be
> as easy as "Fill in this form. Say how many requests you expect from your
> country/region. Say how many CDs per week you can send."
>
>  4. Send this person a package with X CDs inside, envelopes, some money to buy
> stamps and a poster or hat as a "thanks". He will buy stamps from his local post
> office, and for each request, put a CD in an envelope, stick a stamp, write an
> address, and slip it in the mailbox.
>
>  5. Have him register on a wiki page where he sent the CDs and how many stamps
> he put on the envelope.
>

> In the question "who will code the website?", the answer could be "with clear
> enough specs, we can put a request to fedora-websites and someone could jump
> right in. Besides, we are on coding spree in coding new applications lately. :-)
>
> My $.02
>
> -d
>

> --
> Dimitris Glezos

Hi Dimitris,
Thank you for your feedback on FreeMedia Program.
It's a little off topic for this thread so I would like you to join
FreeMedia Program and  we can improve the program together.
To join, please see refer to following page:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/FreeMedia/Contributors
Regards,
--
Thomas Chung