3rd party repositories vs the floppy disk

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 19 14:18:57 UTC 2007

Jonas Karlsson wrote:

> This is good news and might shed some light on the current situation. Do
> you know if there is a timeframe or roadmap for this or if it still in
> the talks.

Still discussing things. I am deliberating not pointing you to the links
  respecting their choices to keep the effort more quiet although I
don't necessarily think it should be private.

> The yum priorities plugin is a nice feature, but shouldn't been
> necessary in a perfect world (isn't that the direction of Linux? :) )

Perfect world doesnt exist. All we can do is find the best way to cope
up with the imperfections.

> How about a large database where packagers can add their packages that
> they have in their repo with no dobblets allowed, everything working
> together? And most importantly the links to add the repos in yum.

Either the programs must respect ABI compatibility more and we can
encourage  a more decentralized systems or we need a centralized
repository. A database of repositories is pick your poison method. If
they are really not conflicting with each other they could just merge
and skip the middle men.

Rahul