Linux.org: The Feodra 7 Year Itch

Chris Negus cnegus at rucls.net
Thu Jun 21 15:49:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 13:46 +0000, Bryan J Smith wrote:
> Fedora Core is not more "Beta" than Red Hat Linux was before it. And until Red
> Hat clarifies that - Enterprise Linux marketing be damned - those who want to
> demonize it that way will continue, with nothing professionals like myself can
> point to - other than our own publications or blog articles on the matter.

I agree. Fedora is a weird case where reality is better than perception.

Has anyone on the Fedora project considered making one stable Fedora
release every three or four releases? You could promote the release as
having:

* Stable desktop and servers
* Three years of security updates
* Branding program with hardware manufacturers

I think you could bring back a lot of the independent consultants who
went to CentOS or elsewhere after the transition from Red Hat Linux. It
could also quiet people who say cutting-edge = never-better-than-beta.

-- Chris Negus