Linux.org: The Feodra 7 Year Itch

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jun 21 17:28:30 UTC 2007

I think it would be redundant and a side-track to offer such.
RHEL offers SLAs and other options, options that go hand-on-hand with its approach.
For those that don't need SLAs, CentOS becomes and option (with caveats).

Fedora continues to offer, as did Red Hat Linux prior, the leading edge in community development.
Some releases offer less changes than others, with more proven integration and stability.
Others offer more radical changes, which are required to move the codebase forward.

At the most, I wish Fedora would move back to the release numbering prior to Red Hat Linux 8.
Bring back the dot (".") and the big-dot-oh (".0") warning that the wrench has been thrown.
That's one thing I missed once Red Hat Linux 9 came out, and wasn't numbered 8.1.
I don't care if NPTL killed some compatibility, the attitude has always been ...

X.0, we changed a lot
X.1, only a few things changed (less likely RHEL fork)
X.2, we really like what we have (more likely RHEL fork)
X.3, oh, we could use another, the new stuff ain't ready yet

But other than that nomenclature/meta aspect, there is *0* I'd change.
Maybe support the last revision longer than the others, but that's about it.
In fact, this could be used to support .0 releases not as long, and support only things that are more stable, more proven longer.

But RHEL (and CentOS) don't need to be duplicated. Red Hat is 100% correct on how the segmented the lines, because each cater to the needs better of those they target.

Other than that, people didn't care about the trademarks issues then.
So they aren't really likely to care about understanding anything now.

Bryan J Smith - mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile