3rd party repositories vs the floppy disk

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 15:32:05 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> When you have created a package repo that can support all those
> personality types, then you have a model for Utopia.

But is it reasonable for people to expect Fedora to have a set of
tools that let settlers feel like they are trail-blazers? To abuse
your analogy for a few moments more....

brick and mortar trail-blazer know with intimate detail how difficult
the environment will be on a daily basis... in fact they almost
cherish the difficulty.

brick and mortar settlers on the other hand want absolutely none of
those very real dangers and difficulties.. but love to vacations and
pretend to be trailblazers and pioneers... and they tend to need to
sign liability waivers in case they get hurt while on vacation.

I'm perfectly fine with trailblazer and pioneer repos, full of
alternative builds or new things, that are intrinsicly more difficult
to deal with. I'm not so fine with a set of tools aimed at settlers
that encourages them to play in the more dangerous spaces without a
liability waiver analogy.

-jef"there is a reason that only 1 in 4 families who claimed land
during the landrush of the mid-western united states were able to
survive more than one winter."spaleta