Dell Linux Survey has Fedora as an option

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 14 10:04:49 UTC 2007

hymno3 wrote:
> Indeed, tiresome to see all the fanboys trying to impose what they feel
> is "the best thing" as the standard for the yet-to-see Dell preloaded
> Linux distro.

The nature of the survey almost guarantees that. It's very interesting
to see Fedora as one of the three choices which is based on the earlier
ideastorm user requests. Regardless of some of the comments Fedora
remains very much relevant to a lot of folks.

> In the end, to a lot of people it doesn't matter what Dell preloads
> because they will install their own favourite distribution instead. Yet
> much is, theoretically, at stake here. If people, especially those new
> to Linux, try it out and buy such a Dell machine, and they like what
> they see, they won't uninstall it.

Yes and perhaps more importantly if Fedora happens to be preloaded you
can move over to anything you want without being struck on binary blobs.

> Anyway, we all know it will be either Suse or Ubuntu, unless Red Hat is
> going to subsidise Dell a little, which I don't think is their business
> model. (?)

If you are talking about Fedora then subsidising on a Free software
distribution doesn't make much sense. For OEM systems all vendors are
willing to cut down rates to get better volumes.

Rahul