"Microsoft wants royalties for open-source software"

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Tue May 15 13:18:26 UTC 2007

Francesco Ugolini wrote:
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=development&articleId=9019238&taxonomyId=11&intsrc=kc_top
>
> This is only an article from the hundreds that i found trough the internet.
>
> Who is scared?
>
> I think it could really help Open Source communities grow.
>
> Stop to fight against each other, just follow our goals and our ideals.
>
> Seneca, a Latin writer, said: "The best ideas are common property"
>
> I trust completely in those words, and for this reason i will continue
> to trust in Open Source and to help this trough Fedora Project (who has
> in its DNA those words).
>
> Regards
>
> Francesco Ugolini

Every now and again Microsoft likes to start a fear campaign that if you
buy linux or use linux you run the risk of getting sued.  What this does
is provide companies with a check point to stop and think what if they
are right.  It won't affect a lot of the users but it will affect the
corporates.

Sadly until there is a lawsuit people will still believe Microsoft over
Open Source Software developers. The local guy who installed the
computer agrees with Microsoft and the developers do not have a store
front where they can explain that what Microsoft said has not been
tested in court so it may or may not be true.

The success of Corporate Linux vendors will slowly bypass the comments
from Microsoft but even then its a long struggle.  I personally believe
wholeheartedly that whatever version of linux you have if there is a
company backing it you should support them.  My belief stems from the
fact that these corporates are advertising linux and its benefits.
Everyone in the linux community benefits over time and community groups
usually can't compete with the corporate dollars.

My $0.02

Marc