Fedora 8 Review: The beauty and the beast

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 10 23:44:51 UTC 2007

Hi

We had a codec buddy bug which fails to show up the initial message and
that in turns makes it pretty confusing. A update has already fixed it
but I doubt reviewers are going to first do an update. Atleast for the
games, we have a wrapper that somewhat explains the situation without
pointing to the drivers or anything like that. We might have to want
have a similar generic message.

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/224/104/

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Fedora_8_Review_The_beauty_and_the_beast

"There is no doubt Fedora 8 is an excellent distribution. Redhat is a
major contributor to Linux and you can see that in Fedora which includes
many exciting new features. Fedora 8 is very stable, the package
management is one of the best out there, security is tight as always and
finally the presentation have improved to make one of the best looking
Gnome distributions I have seen. However in the eyes of the average
desktop user Fedora fails miserably. He will have to go hunting for
third party repositories to get nVidia or Ati drivers installed and then
get confused by the new codec tool. He will even have to go searching
the web to find out why Flash fails when trying to install it in Firefox"

Rahul