Distrowatch reviews Fedora 8

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 12 12:54:45 UTC 2007

Hi

A fair review of Fedora 8.

A few notes to Simon (CC'ed).

Thanks for the review.  Sendmail is activated by default since we need a
MTA to send critical logs to the administrator but it connects only to
the local host and the security risk of that is pretty much
non-existent.  You might want to note that critical factor in the
review. Also the Java plugin problem of having to run mozilla-config
manually is fixed in an update. NetworkManager is indeed started by
default in the desktop live cd's as opposed to the regular DVD. We hope
to have it be the default system-wide by the next release. The problem
with old icons might also go away if we switch to the new Echo icon them
in Fedora 9.  The problem with yum updates checker is already in
bugzilla and I agree it is a bit of a pain especially when you don't
realize what's happening. For the IP3945 problem, try out the workaround
mentioned in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20071112#review

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Distrowatch_Reviews_Fedora_8

"Overall, I truly believe that Fedora 8 is by far the best Fedora
release to date (and I've tried every one of them). From the look and
feel of the system, to the out-of-the-box configuration during
installation, I couldn't be happier with a cutting edge release.

As I mentioned before, the biggest aspects of a successful distribution
for me are suspend/hibernate, correct screen resolution and the the
ability to change the screen resolution in a GUI if it didn't configure
it correctly the first time, system stability, and overall look and feel
of a distribution. For me, Fedora 8 has excelled in all categories when
I evaluate and review a system and I hope that Fedora continues to
release versions that are put together as good as Fedora 8 has been."

Rahul