Fedora Membership/Fellowship

Fabian Affolter fab at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 13 22:06:38 UTC 2007

Hi all,

A few months ago Gerold and I talked about a kind of Fedora Member- or
Fellowship.  This has included the webshop issue, too.  The membership
thing is a topic for the FAD [1] at the end of this month but perhaps
it's a good idea to publish our "brain dump" right now.  Because a
intensive discussion about a shop has started...

Some of you can surely remember the time when "Red Hat Magazin" has been
delivered (between summer 2003 and winter 2004) to the subscribers in
Europe.  It was the printed german pendant to the online version [2].
Every issue contained an up-to-date "respins" of Red Hat Linux 9 and
later Fedora Core.  With one issue they sent a mouse pad.  I believe
that most subscribers like this kind of goodie because it was exclusive.

But we don't want to focus to a magazine because there are already
enough computer-related magazines on the market.  Our focus will be the
 delivering of pressed and printed media with the newest release of
Fedora at the Release Day.  No waiting because the mirrors are slow or
down just take the disc and install it.  The goodies are the other part
of the subscription.

Basically we were just looking for something to get the people (most
will be end users...) closer to the project and a way to make the
customer relationship stronger.  Of course it's about money.  We hope to
finance the participation of Fedora at Events with the profit.

Check out your "brain dump" [3] and tell me your opinion, your ideas,
your reservations or what ever.

Kind regards,

Fabian

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD/FADEMEA2007