OLPC sued for patent infringement in Nigeria

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Nov 29 22:23:23 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram escribió:
> Hi,
>
> The peril of patents on software...
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/260053/
>
> "A company called Lagos Analysis Corporation has sent out a press
> release announcing a patent infringement lawsuit against the One
> Laptop Per Child project. "The patent infringement lawsuit was filed
> on November 22nd, 2007 as a result of OLPC's willful infringement of
> LANCOR's Nigeria Registered Design Patent #RD8489 and illegal reverse
> engineering of its keyboard driver source codes for use in the XO
> Laptops." The patent text is hard to find, but it seems to relate to
> the design of keyboards which facilitate the typing of text in
> multiple languages."
>
> Rahul

There's one thing I don't get about this... The patent holder had plenty
of time to warn about this, especially with the immense coverage and
media OLPC has had in the last couple of years, why wait until now? I
mean, the patent holder works in the computer field, and (unless they've
been living under a rock in Nigeria) he must have known of the OLPC and
the XO for LONG time. Why not say anything before?