Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 14:54:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Paul Stauffer wrote:

> A little bit of a tangent:  If the Project adopts an official slogan like
> this that we intend to use on an ongoing basis as a distinguishing
> identifier, it might be a good idea to clearly indicate it as a trademark.
> I don't know what all the requirements are for doing that... like, would we
> need to stick a little "TM" next to it all the time, or just indicate in the
> small print somewhere something like, "'Fedora', 'Fedora Project', the funny
> little speech balloon logo, and 'Freedom is a Feature' are trademarks of the
> Fedora Project".  Aside from the possible legal reasons for doing this,
> clearly distinguishing it as a trademark would emphasize that it is the
> slogan of the Project itself, and not just a catch-phrase for whatever the
> release of the moment is.

*blink blink*

"Freedom is a Feature" is a trademark of The Fedora Project and Red Hat,
Inc.  Use of the words "Freedom is a Feature" without express written
consent is strictly prohibited by U.S. and International Law.

Um, I don't think that would look great on Slashdot.

I'd much rather mount a big campaign after the fact that says
"$BIGSCARYENTITY stole that line from Fedora."

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager