Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 5 18:16:15 UTC 2007

On 10/5/07, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> My gut feeling tells me I disagree although my brain admits I haven't
> been using too much other distros lately; what distro (non-Fedora based)
> exactly does offer Freedom as much or as strong as Fedora does?

I would rather prefer a slogan(for fedora) which values Fedora
Contributors(RH and community) and not contributors of other distros.
Many fedora contributors spend about 4 hours per day for fedora, at
least it's my case. Having a slogan which values freedom that other
distributions provide, does NOT praise the fedora community, but
rather the "linux community" !

Many fedora technologies are poorly advertised and yet the proposed
slogan doesn't praise fedora, but free software. Fedora isn't just
about "free software", but a wonderful (the best and professional) +
active community that does more than "assembling free packages".

The Fedora Project is something really special, it is even the engine
of the linux community.
The Fedora Project has many special contributors and develops anything
for anyone.

Fedora is not a kiddy-type distribution but provides quality applications/OS.

Example 1:
Aren't you proud of Fedora Artwork in each release ? Every time
there's something new and every time one will see posts on
planet.fedoraproject.org praising Fedora Artwork. Which other
distributions have a better artwork community than Fedora's ? There
isn't.
There are many Fedora SIGs which have done wonderful work.

Example 2:
In the past, people cursed fedora for X,Y and Z reasons.
Fedora has already fixed and improved X, Y and Z.
But still people are pointing to the X,Y and Z.
Aren't you sick about it ?

Example 3:
someone: Hai, have you seen X has new features (P,Q,R and S) that no
other distribution has?
Me: Fedora has P, Q, R and S since at least 6 months now, perhaps even
since a year ago.
Didn't you come across this before ?
example of example 3:
http://linuxglobe.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/fedora-8-needs-to-add-features-like-ubuntu-710/

Well that my thoughts. I'll advise not to jump and choose any slogan.

Chitlesh
--
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com