Freedom is *just* a Feature?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Oct 6 04:27:09 UTC 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 03:05:50AM +0300, Saadaldine AlSaidi wrote:
> I guess Freedom in fedora is not just a feature its the core and putting
> it as a feature really reduce the whole idea. maybe we can say "Fedora:
> Freedom is the essence" or "Fedora: where Freedom is the essence"

This is a very legitimate point. A feature is something prominent but not
necessarily eanything vital.

Consider:

   Fedora 8 Feature List
     Online Desktop
     Bluetooth
     Build ID
     Codec Buddy
     Eclipse33
     Electronic Lab
     Freedom
     Generic Logos
     IcedTea
     Nepali Language Support
     Nodoka Theme
     PAM Console (remove it)
     Policy Kit
     Pulse Audio
     rsyslog
     Tickless Kernel
     Transifex
     Virt Security
     Wakeups (fix them)
     XFS (no more)

There's a risk of "Freedom: It's In There With The Other Bells And
Whistles." Or worse, "Freedom: A Feature Sort Of Like SELinux, Which
Everybody Turns Off When It Comes Time To Do Anything Useful."

But "Freedom is the Essence" doesn't have the same resonance.

And "Freedom: Not Just a Feature!" takes too much thinking to be a good
slogan.