Fedora: Freedom is a Feature

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Oct 7 04:24:06 UTC 2007

Alejo Cerrat0 escribió:
> Hi,
>
> i've been following the discussion, and I'd like to add variations of
> the slogan to be considered:
>
> Fedora: Freedom Capable
>
> Freedom: Not just another feature
>
> Fedora: Freedom Integrated
>
> Fedora: Freedom of Choice (this one's a repeat)
>
> I don't think the word 'feature' is only associated with computer
> jargon, but it is indeed its stronger association.
> It's been also incorporated to, at least in Argentina, where I come
> from, to everyday Spanish because of a lack of an accurate 1 word
> translation.
>
> AlejoCerrato.
I thought of a few additions myself to the slogan, but mainly thought in
Spanish, so the *literal* translation I've made may sound a bit odd, but
I hope to make things relatively clear...

"Fedora: Incluye Libertad"

Would (roughly) translate into:

"Fedora: Liberty included"

Now, I *chose* __Liberty__ instead of "freedom" given the ambiguous
meaning of "free" in colloquial English. Alas even though "freedom" as
such is reasonably enough "universally understood" as a synonym of
liberty (or so is my [limited] understanding of the English language), I
do believe that the Freedom in Fedora and Free and Open Source software
is actually "liberty" (non-ambiguous with gratis or free of [monetary]
cost). In Spanish there is no way to confuse "libre" with "free" (of
cost) unless directly stated (libre de costo)... I'm aware that it may
sound odd, but in the end I believe it does reflect what Fedora stands
for, unambiguously.