Eastern Massachusetts Linux Fest Inquiry

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Sat Oct 20 19:07:49 UTC 2007

Markus McLaughlin wrote:
> If there are any Linux companies or colleges that use Linux in
> Massachusetts interested in putting together a Linux Fest from
> Worcester, Marlborough, Hudson, Natick, Framingham, or Boston this
> fall.....  Let's get one set up!!!  Fedora 8 is coming out and a Linux
> Fest that highlights that as well as the recent releases of Ubuntu
> 7.10 and openSUSE 10.3 will need to be represented.  The communities
> out here don't know anything about Linux and a FEST out here is
> vital!!!

Really? I live in the Boston area and a substantial number of other
folks who work on Fedora live here as well. Red Hat has an office in the
area as does Novell. The GNOME summit was a couple weekends ago in
Cambridge, and next weekend there is going to be FOSS Camp in Cambridge
as well, on MIT's campus. So I am not sure that it is fair to say the
communities in eastern Massachusetts don't know anything about Linux any
more so than other areas of Massachusetts. Then again it depends what
you mean by "community" -

What target audience are you looking to reach? Since you appear to not
be particularly concerned about Fedora for this, you might want to get
in touch with the Boston LUG group: http://blu.org/

~m