future of FUDCon proposal

Paul Stauffer paulds at bu.edu
Wed Oct 24 20:34:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 11:47:17AM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> http://gregdek.livejournal.com/17724.html
>
> Although he asks for comments in his blog, I encourage you to also make
> them here. :)

I just posted this comment:

In general this sounds like a positive idea.

My one concern from the perspective of a host/organizer is that by picking a
firm date based on the timing of another event, it may really limit the
ability of a place like BU to be able to continue hosting FUDCon. If there
is no flexibility in the dates, there will be a possibility that we might
not be able to host it at all if there happens to be some scheduling
conflict on our end. A bit of flexibility always helps with that. That said,
we managed to do it in conjunction with LinuxWorld for two years, though the
2005 FUDCon suffered a bit as a result of that constraint.

Regarding the comment about Brazil and the rest of the world, I assume that
this proposal does not exclude the possibility of other FUDCon events. It's
just an attempt to formally plan for a couple big ones each year.

- Paul

--
Paul Stauffer <paulds at bu.edu>
Manager of Research Computing