Editorial on competition and choice

Imtiaz Rahi imtiaz.rahi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 19:15:26 UTC 2007

Its not about jealousy in between distros.
It's about what making Ubuntu different that it reach lot more people than
Fedora. Obviously, they have done something good in their distro and with
their marketing that they are getting such acceptance.
I don't want to see Fedora being a niche distro, I want to see people using
it on their desktop.
Browsing, emailing, watching movie, listening to songs, playing games etc.

Ofcourse, different distros will contribute in different level and I have no
doubt Fedora makes significant contribution.
But when new people are not coming to Fedora or Fedora is choice of very
small amount of user, then I would say that project have some problem. Also,
it means that project was successful but not at that moment.
Your current success does not stay much long. We always need to do something
better to even keep that success level.

And from marketing point of view its a disaster that you are getting new
client and losing market share.
We must be inventive and find new ways to make Fedora reach lot more people.
With new people, you get stronger, fresh minds interested in you invest
their time and money in you.
I hope always remember this and its always what people thinks about matters,
how they perceive you.

Cheers,
Imtiaz Rahi