German LinuxUser Magazine

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 19 08:05:17 UTC 2007

Robert M. Albrecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is an distribution-review for recycling old PCs (Pentium I class).
>
> 				Fedora	Suse	Ubuntu
>
> Installation with Gnome		3:00h	1:10h	1:45h
> Minimal Installation		1:50	0:30	0:30
> First Update with Gnome		4h	1:10h	0:26h
> Boot in textmode		1:20m	1:10m	1:10m
> Boot with Gnome			2:20m	2:10m	2:20m
>
> Seems Fedora is the slowest to install in low-memory conditions.

Was it the same amount of packages? A DVD image of Fedora installs way
more packages by default than a live CD.  A graphical installation on
low memory would consume more time than a text mode installation.

The first update with GNOME metric also isn't useful without taking into
account the number of packages being updated.

That leaves us with the boot and login times which are comparable.

> The authors states, that although selected in Anaconda the xfce-packages
> were missing and he had to manually install them afterwards.

XFCE is not available in media so I don't see how he could selected that
during installation.

Rahul