Offer to help editors?

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Sat Apr 19 16:24:53 UTC 2008

Hi all,

A while back at a mktg meeting we talked about getting in touch with
the staff/editors at various Linux and computing magazines to ask how
we can make their lives easier, how we can make it easier for them to
find information about Fedora which can serve as the basis of a story.

I think this kind of dialog could be very productive, certainly I had
a good response from Joe (can't remember surname) from Linux Magazine
following a conversation along these lines. I've posted a draft of a
potential e-mail that could be sent out, but I want to get people's
opinions and permission before I do this!

---------------

Hi there,

I'm writing to you on behalf of the Fedora Project to ask how we can
help make your life a little easier.

Obviously as one of the leading GNU/Linux distributions, $publication
has covered us a number of times in the past, and will continue to do
so in the future. What we'd like to do is find out how you gather
information for the stories you write, and how that process can be
improved.

As a starting point, we'd like to point you at our feature list. Every
release this is created and maintained by our developers to provide
information about the features they're working on - both technical
implementation details, and also details on the potential impact for
end-users can be found here. We hope that this will not only improve
our internal co-ordination, but allow members of the press to get an
early look at technologies that will be significant over the coming
months. It can be found at the following web address:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/#/FeatureList

Where # is the number of the release you're interested in.

One other important piece of documentation that you might like to be
aware of, and which might stand to make your life a little easier, is
that with every development release (alpha, beta etc) we create a
single page set of Release Notes that detail how the features detailed
on the feature list are coming together at that particular point in
time. This can be found at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/#/$MileStone/ReleaseNotes

Where # is the number of the release you're interested in, and
$MileStone is the formal title of the mile stone you're interested in,
such as alpha or beta.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have any suggestions
on how you'd like to see these resources improved or what new
resources you'd like to see created (or any other reason, for that
matter), please don't hesitate to contact us and we'll see what we can
do to help.

Yours kindly,

Best wishes,

Jon