IRC Log of FAmSCo Meeting - 28 Apr 2008

John Babich jmbabich at
Mon Apr 28 21:08:43 UTC 2008

<fugolini> Please roll call
<fugolini> FrancescoUgolini
<AndreasR> AndreasRau
<jmbuser> JohnBabich
<MrTom> ThomasCanniot
<iWolf> JeffreyTadlock
<fugolini> ok, we can start
<fugolini> today agenda is:
<fugolini> 1. Ambassadors Budget
<fugolini> 2. Wiki status
<fugolini> 3. Local groups status
<fugolini> First topic
<fugolini> i think we can start with the rlease
<fugolini> events discussion
<fugolini> if you take a look at the event page
<fugolini> at least 8 events (please count it on your own)
<fugolini> actually in Italy there are 2 more events that are in the
<fugolini> *in a pending status
<fugolini> just wait april 30th
<fugolini> Max, moreover said that the deadline is May 1st
<fugolini> due to the beginning of the next fiscal quarter
* knurd is now known as knurd_afk
<fugolini> I invite who has a planned event to report it in the wiki
<spevack> MaxSpevack is here
<fugolini> and if he need help ask in the list
<iWolf> !
<MrTom> !
<fugolini> We have planned a cost of 1000$
<fugolini> ok, i'll stop now
<fugolini> iWolf:
<iWolf> in regards to the release events, I would like to begin
contacting the event owner for the release event to offer the $100USD
that Max is ready to send them.
<fugolini> ah, just a mistake, it's not the end of the quarter
<iWolf> eof
<fugolini> iWolf: yes, the main problem is that there are other events
in pending status
<fugolini> i think we could start asking for the payment method
<spevack> fugolini: the Release Events and next quarter's budget are
two different things
<iWolf> i thought we were just taking the first 10?
<fugolini> in fact
<fugolini> i notice this
<fugolini> i've done a mistake and i say this
* stickster is now known as stickster_afk
* stickster_afk is now known as stickster
<fugolini> iWolf: we have 2 slots free
<spevack> i see 8 release events
<spevack> on the FedoraEvents page
<spevack> The North American ones will be very easy to fund
<spevack> we can probably use PayPal for everyone
<spevack> or just send a check
<iWolf> right, but I don't want to penalize the ones ready for money
while we wait for the other 2
<fugolini> so, just wait two days, we are trying to organize two more events
<spevack> The one in Greece will also be easy
<spevack> because I can just pay Dimitris back when I see him at LinuxTag
<spevack> my concern is getting money for the Italy release party and
for the Bangladesh release party. $100 USD is a small amount, the fees
to transfer that via a bank wire are almost as much as the money
itself is...
<iWolf> spevack: so do you want to handle sending the money? and skip
the contact the event owner step to see things are still a go for
<spevack> iWolf: well, I'm thinking that I can email the owners of the
various events, ask them if it's still a go, and start by asking for a
PayPal address.
<spevack> iWolf: we'll see how far that gets us
<spevack> iWolf: because we can handle that this week.
<spevack> what do you think?
<iWolf> spevack: sounds good, i wanted to clarify if you needed me to
do that or if you were going to.
<fugolini> spevack: i just reaplied to your mail
<iWolf> spevack: sounds great to me.
<spevack> iWolf: i can do it, and i'll cc you just so there's one
other person in the loop
<fugolini> have you seen it?
<spevack> fugolini: looking now
<iWolf> spevack: thanks!
<MrTom> !
<fugolini> spevack: can you cc the famsco
<fugolini> just because i think it has to be clear
<fugolini> MrTom:
<spevack> fugolini: sure
* kital (n=Joerg_Si at fedora/kital) has joined #fedora-meeting
<MrTom> we are in france doing our best to have a date before the 1st
of May, but i'm not sure this is likely to happen (having the date
before the deadline mean)
<MrTom> we are likely to have the install party be runned the 21 of..
June, which is quite late
<MrTom> but there are 3 organisations synching their agendas for the
event to happen
<MrTom> that's quite difficult to handle :p
<MrTom> eof
<fugolini> ok
<fugolini> ok
<fugolini> iWolf: you can just contact the event owner
<fugolini> but we have to remember there are 2 open slots
<iWolf> fugolini: spevack is going to handle that as a way of getting
the ball rolling to send out the money.
<fugolini> ok
<fugolini> Have you other questions/concern
<fugolini> ?
<MrTom> !
<fugolini> MrTom:
<spevack> MrTom: I'm not too worried about a Release Party for $100.
The May 1 deadline is important for larger events that will want $500,
$100, or more
<MrTom> spevack well having already 100$ for this IP would be very
well seen here
<MrTom> moreover our organisation would be able to fullfil the lack of
money we would need to create cd localy
<MrTom> eof
<fugolini> you can add it in the june event list
<MrTom> thansk spevack fugolini
<fugolini> and you will able to ask for the money you need for it
<fugolini> the 100$ is for the Release Parties, but it's the propel to
invite people to organize those ones
<fugolini> for the next events there is the standard budget
<fugolini> eof
<fugolini> so, next issue?
<fugolini> ok
<fugolini> next issue: 2. Wiki status
<fugolini> I had problems with the wiki (pages are really slow to see)
<fugolini> and it created a lot of problem for my work on some wiki pages
<fugolini> i don't know if is my Service provider or just the server
<fugolini> but i think the work is near to be completed
<fugolini> have you qestions/concerns?
<fugolini> ok, we can skip this issue
<fugolini> 3. Local groups status
<fugolini> The aim of this section is to get updates from the local groups
<fugolini> I don't want to list all the events, because i know i could annoy you
<fugolini> so i prefer to have a open discussion
<fugolini> EMEA
<fugolini> Updates?
<fugolini> North America
<fugolini> Updates?
<fugolini> South America
<fugolini> Updates?
<iWolf> For North America it looks like we have several release
parties, so that's good.
<iWolf> We've also has some more activity on the AMbassadors list from
N.A. as well.
<fugolini> News from weekly meetings?
<spevack> Jesse Keating was at LinuxFest northwest this past weekend.
His event report will be coming soon.
<iWolf> I would like to get a more organized North America meeting established .
<iWolf> I've been waiting on some of the release party activity to
slow down so I can dedicate some cycles to that.
<fugolini> great!
<fugolini> Have you special requests from NA?
<iWolf> no special requests that I am aware of.
<fugolini> ok
<fugolini> Asia, India, Australia
<fugolini> Updates?
<fugolini> i've heard about an irc meeting
<fugolini> have you news about it?
<iWolf> APAC had a weekly meeting a little over a week ago.
<iWolf> I attended and it seemed to go well.
<fugolini> Special requests?
<fugolini> or better, something that FAmSCo need to know?
<spevack> I don't have much insight into APAC right now. HarishPillay
is a Red Hatter who is working to bring some community work together
there. Our biggest plan for APAC is to have a FUDCon there at the same
time as Linux Conf australia next year in January
<iWolf> mainly just getting organized and I reviewed the process of
making sure to add their events to the Fedora Event page in order to
get access to budgeted money.
<spevack> In India, we are working on getting them stronger community support
<fugolini> that's important
<spevack> internally to Red Hat, my boss -- Michael Chen -- is trying
to find extra money in the budget that can be used by Red Hat India to
support Fedora and community
* petreu has quit ("( :: NoNameScript 4.02 :: )")
<spevack> So I'll let you guys know how that goes -- that's a little
bit separate from FAMSCo, but it's money that might end up being used
by guys like Kuahal Das, Rahul Sundaram, Sankarshan, etc.
<fugolini> great
<iWolf> good! I am sure they will appreciate that.
<jmbuser> +1
<AndreasR> +1
<spevack> As far as South America goes, FAMSco will continue to fund
them. Rodrigo Padul has asked for $700 for another show in Brazil. I
believe that we should give him that, and also I have asked him what
he anticipates the next few months looking like
<spevack> there are 3 events listed on the Fedora Events page between
now and the end of August.
<spevack> So if Rodrigo needs somewhere around $700 for each, I think
that is very much within our budget, as Brazil is where most of our
support for South America is seen.
<spevack> in short... I think that we are doing a pretty good job of
giving opportunity and funding to folks globally, so I think we just
need to keep paying attention to what is going on
<spevack> EOF
<fugolini> actually the reports we received were great
<fugolini> you can saw those in the list and in Fedora Planet
<fugolini> i think we have a big amount of datas for the events sposored
<fugolini> Any other questions?
<fugolini> Just another word
<fugolini> If all agree i think Monday could be a good day for weekly meetings
<fugolini> isn't it?
<AndreasR> !
<iWolf> Monday is fine with me.
<fugolini> AndreasR:
<AndreasR> yep.. much more better
<AndreasR> eof
<spevack> I am fine with either, but I do prefer Monday!
<jmbuser> Monday is good, but perhaps we can meet 1 hour earlier
<jmbuser> eof
<AndreasR> +1
<fugolini> jmbuser: +1
<spevack> +1 also.
<fugolini> so
<fugolini> with a great majority Monday is the new meeting date
<fugolini> *day
<spevack> Monday 15:00 UTC
<spevack> er, sorry...
<spevack> Monday 19:00 UTC
<jmbuser> +1 and thanks
<spevack> is that right, francesco? 19:00 UTC
<fugolini> yes
<AndreasR> +1 ; I agree
<spevack> great
<fugolini> ok, i think we can adjourn the meeting
<fugolini> 3
<fugolini> 2
<fugolini> 1
<fugolini> == meeting adjourned ==

More information about the marketing mailing list