Direct Ogg Support in Firefox

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Aug 1 09:20:07 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> The effects of this should be very interesting to watch.
>>>
>>> http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=492
>>
>> The Mozilla wiki is not clear about dates, have you any idea if this
>> will make F10 or is F11 material?
>
> If it is Firefox 3.1 as some blogs have hinted, it might even be
> available as a update in Fedora 9.

A bit of research shows that the release date for Firefox 3.1 is not
defined precisely, but as "a late 2008 or early 2009".

Just recently they released the first Alpha (without video support),
which will be followed by a number of Alphas, Betas and RCs. As past
experience tells, *if* Fedora 10 will have the new version, it will
start tracking the development branch in Rawhide (now Rawhide is at
Firefox 3.0.1).

My pessimistic self is tempted to believe more the "early 2009", which
is just in time for Fedora 11 and near to the end of the life cycle of
Fedora 9.

I think this release is somewhat important (as Rahul pointed in the
initial message) because it will impact the way we publish videos
related to Fedora.