Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Aug 5 09:30:50 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFreeCultureShowcase

It looks somewhat close to the ccLiveContent spin which was based of
Fedora (version 1.0 which was supposed to be followed by a 2.0 version,
don't know what happened with it)

> I like this Ubuntu team idea, so I just posted this FYI. One thing I
> find missing from their announcement is the mention of what kind of
> submissions are they looking for and are those submissions restricted
> or not to usage of non-free tools (ie. Photoshop, Maya, 3D Studio,

They seems to focus on Free formats, so the files can be played out of
the box and that is all.

> Premiere, etc...). I don't know what expression "Free Culture Artist"
> means because I think that there could be lost of Ubuntu users out

I bet "Free Culture" is understood as "released under a Creative Commons
license"

> that that would feel that they are that even if they run Ubuntu as
> their secundary system and do their primary work on completely
> proprietary system (Os X or Windows).

Probably because more people are into "Free Culture" (read: CC license)
than "Free Software" and they just target the largest audience.