Fwd: Proposing fedora to govt dept

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 12:38:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 14:32 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Vidur Mittal wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to give presentation of FEDORA to few of the govt. deptt.. I
> > am trying to make a presentation over fedora i want all the team to come
> > forward and help in this regards.The points which i am thinking to
> > include in presentation are as follows:
>
> First of all, are *you* sure Fedora is the best tool for that job?

Right.  What are the use cases this government department wants to
cover?  Do these use cases accommodate a fast-moving, leading-edge Linux
distribution, or are they better off using a slower-paced, extended
lifecycle support model?

While Fedora is incredibly flexible and can help solve a huge number of
problems, it is not always the best tool for every IT job.  That's why
distributions like RHEL exist.  It's important for anyone who wants to
stand up in front of an audience to "pitch" Fedora to know exactly what
the differences are, and articulate clearly (to themselves and others)
what's right for a potential user or customer.  Otherwise you risk
actually doing the *opposite* of good marketing!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RHEL

--
Paul W. Frields