Fedora marketing meeting today: leader?

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 16:30:58 UTC 2008

I can't make it today, either. After two days at Linux World in the
Fedora booth, I promised my daughter I'd spend the day with her (and
she and I would have gone to Linux World, but they don't allow kids .
. . .).

As an aside (and perhaps quaid, who is still at Linux World today, can
comment on this further), my own personal observation is that the
booth at Linux World is turning out to be a huge success. A lot of
people have come by to pick up media, to talk to us about Fedora and
we've been getting a lot of folks who are already users singing the
praises of Fedora. What surprised me -- and I'm a relative newcomer,
only around since F7 -- was the loyalty that many long-time users have
to Fedora, dating back to FC3 and 4. We are not talking about a only a
few people here, either; during the two days I was there, it's safe to
say that I spoke to more than 50 people who were Fedora users from way
back. Also, there were many people who had used Fedora in the past,
but moved on to something else, and are now going to try Fedora again,
so I hope F9 brings 'em back.

Jack and Karsten may have solved the problem today, but we were trying
to get the F10 alpha to run virtually on an F9 machine (apparently
Plymouth wasn't playing nice with the virtual side of things, from
what I could gather in overheard snippets of conversation).

In any case, I sort of weighed in on this in #fedora-mktg yesterday
from the show floor, and sorry if I've gone off too far on this
tangent.

Larry Cafiero