Proposing fedora to govt dept

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 18:13:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 21:47 +0530, Vidur Mittal wrote:
> HI,
> Thanks for the kind response
> I have understand the need of the dept. What my objective is that i
> will be recommending it as the client , I have planned few things from
> the valuable inputs which i have gotten from all:
> 1 if we talk about short life span of fedora I will suggest them to
> upgrade the machine at regular intervals using yum it will not only
> solve the problem regarding the life span but would be as comparable
> to windows update.

Yes, but is that really a workable solution?  The short life span and
frequent updates are usually a *problem* for most locations that want a
long-term solution.  Plus, Fedora is only updated actively for 13
months.  That means that 13 months after having Fedora 10 installed,
every machine will have to be upgraded to either Fedora 11 or Fedora 12.
Does that seem like something this department's IT staff is going to
want to do?  I know the answer for the office where I used to work would
be an emphatic "no."

I'm the last person to try and convince people *not* to use Fedora.
It's a great platform for people who always want the latest and greatest
Linux software wrapped up in a manageable platform.  But that
description often does not fit a group that's looking for a long-term,
"set and forget" solution.

I would not be asking "How can I fit Fedora into this office?"  That
seems like a recipe for disaster.  What you should be asking -- and what
only you can answer -- is, "What are this department's needs, and how
can Fedora meet them?"

Maybe you can tell us what those needs and requirements are.

--
Paul W. Frields