Proposing fedora to govt dept

Nayyar Ahmad nayyares at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 06:51:10 UTC 2008

2008/8/7 Vidur Mittal <vidurmittal at gmail.com>

> HI,
> Thanks for the kind response
> I have understand the need of the dept. What my objective is that i will be
> recommending it as the client , I have planned few things from the valuable
> inputs which i have gotten from all:
> 1 if we talk about short life span of fedora I will suggest them to upgrade
> the machine at regular intervals using yum it will not only solve the
> problem regarding the life span but would be as comparable to windows
> update.

For fedora update in our case we did local yum repo. mirror, because in my
case the clients were on Intranet, so we made our own mirror, second you
have to check whether there are some devices/equipment that is attached to
clients, e.g. Camra/Scaner/Printer etc...although installing most of them
are not an issue for fedora, but still you have to check whether they are
compatible with Fedora?

> 2.I am also keeping in mind while recommending i will be getting support
> from my friends who will take care for the training session of fedora they
> will take 1 month training for them so that they are easily comfortable to
> use fedora.

Training is nice idea, but before training you have to check it out...what
level of end user you got there...e.g. they only use browser + Office etc...
or they are involved in more intense work...later you can plan a targetted
training....

> 3. Regarding server room i would recommend RHEL.

check out their budget...in my case i would even suggest them CentOS... ;)

>  Kindly guide me further so that I can make good strategy for marketing
> from all the valuable inputs which I would be getting .

It would be better if you make a list of their need "what they are doing on
windows" & then make a list of replacement you have in fedora/linux....later
when you give them presentation you can easily get them....

> Regards
> Vidur Mittal
>
> 2008/8/7 Nayyar Ahmad <nayyares at gmail.com>:
>

>> 2008/8/7 Vidur Mittal <vidurmittal at gmail.com>
>>
>>> HI,
>>>
>>> I am trying to give presentation of FEDORA to few of the govt. deptt.. I
>>> am trying to make a presentation over fedora i want all the team to come
>>> forward and help in this regards.The points which i am thinking to include
>>> in presentation are as follows:
>>>

>> I once did this for our Ministry of Finance's clients machines, although i
>> was successful, we replace more than 3000 windows clients country wide with
>> fedora, the biggest problem i had to face to convince management was
>> Fedora's unstable image "as per word of mouth" as compare to RHEL or other
>> enterprise linux/unix. second they were having fear against the short life
>> cycle.
>>
>> you have to first keep in mind the use of machines, whether you are
>> proposing them for server machines or clients, what level of critical jobs
>> they are doing on those machines?...it would be better if you suggest them
>> use enterprise linux RHEL etc... "for server room".
>>
>> moreover, if they are running some licensed software/application such as
>> database or business suite, do that support fedora on client/server machines
>> ?
>>
>> PS: i do not want to discourage you, but you have to be honest before
>> recommending something.
>>

>>> 1. Objective
>>> 2. Benefits
>>> 3.Comparison between Windows and Linux
>>> 4.Comparison between different flavour of Unix
>>> 5.Why use fedora
>>> 6.A short introduction of redhat and fedora project
>>> 7.Help and support of fedora.
>>>
>>> Now i want every one to come and help me in this regards so that i can
>>> complete the presentation. Please also guide me that i have included all the
>>> point for the presentation.
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> --
>>>
>>> --