Fedora promoting videos

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 16:33:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> I think you understand that Fedora being a community distro such a video
> should come from the community, namely from you, me and others like us....
> So if you want such a video, start working to make it happen: maybe write a
> script, maybe shoot some footage with your camera, maybe do some editing
> with video software...

I think a 'truth happens' for Fedora coming out of the Red Hat side of
the fence would not be a bad thing as long as its done right.  There
are video production experts over there, and they do have mad skillz.
As long as we are willing to accept that to make a video like that we
aren't going to be dog-fooding our our video tools.  If this is
something 'we' want I'm sure there are ways of approaching the video
gurus inside the Red Hat fence line.

If they were going to take on such a task at the behest of our
community marketing group, I would ideally like to see some sort of
partnership evolve such that community produced material was
incorporated but gave the video experts a lot of creative control on
how to use the material...including choice of digital tools to use.
But that's just me talking.

And I should clarify since I know people lurk on this list, I have
said in the past that I don't want the Red Hat side of the fence
leading an effort to get a Fedora community video production process
up and running. I've said that primarily because I am afraid that the
quality of the work they typically do is orders of magnitude above
what we can do with in-distro tools and having them jump in early and
gifting us with very nice, well produced videos for us to use would
taint the discussion concerning our own toolset. Banging our
collective heads on creating screencasts and interviews using the
in-distro tools is an important part of a community push to move this
toolspace forward and I didn't want to see that short-circuited by
setting the bar on video quality for the community too high with a set
of initial video drop.  But we have a process in place now, and it
could be time to think about how we deal with the need for high
production quality videos meant for re-use as marketing pieces that we
know we don't have the toolset to build in-distro...yet.

-jef