Fedora promoting videos

Christos Bacharakis cmpahar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 18:57:35 UTC 2008

2008/8/10 Naresh KN <nareshlx at fedoraproject.org>

> I agree. I foresee this to be a great way to promote Fedora to the mass.
> Lets give a heads up to this initiative. How do we kick start? Any
> thoughts??
>
> -Naresh
>

> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro>
>> wrote:
>> > I think you understand that Fedora being a community distro such a video
>> > should come from the community, namely from you, me and others like
>> us....
>> > So if you want such a video, start working to make it happen: maybe
>> write a
>> > script, maybe shoot some footage with your camera, maybe do some editing
>> > with video software...
>>
>> I think a 'truth happens' for Fedora coming out of the Red Hat side of
>> the fence would not be a bad thing as long as its done right.  There
>> are video production experts over there, and they do have mad skillz.
>> As long as we are willing to accept that to make a video like that we
>> aren't going to be dog-fooding our our video tools.  If this is
>> something 'we' want I'm sure there are ways of approaching the video
>> gurus inside the Red Hat fence line.
>>
>> If they were going to take on such a task at the behest of our
>> community marketing group, I would ideally like to see some sort of
>> partnership evolve such that community produced material was
>> incorporated but gave the video experts a lot of creative control on
>> how to use the material...including choice of digital tools to use.
>> But that's just me talking.
>>
>> And I should clarify since I know people lurk on this list, I have
>> said in the past that I don't want the Red Hat side of the fence
>> leading an effort to get a Fedora community video production process
>> up and running. I've said that primarily because I am afraid that the
>> quality of the work they typically do is orders of magnitude above
>> what we can do with in-distro tools and having them jump in early and
>> gifting us with very nice, well produced videos for us to use would
>> taint the discussion concerning our own toolset. Banging our
>> collective heads on creating screencasts and interviews using the
>> in-distro tools is an important part of a community push to move this
>> toolspace forward and I didn't want to see that short-circuited by
>> setting the bar on video quality for the community too high with a set
>> of initial video drop.  But we have a process in place now, and it
>> could be time to think about how we deal with the need for high
>> production quality videos meant for re-use as marketing pieces that we
>> know we don't have the toolset to build in-distro...yet.
>>
>> -jef
>>
>> --

Sorry for being late to answer, I had some health problems. I suggest to try
finding as many videos about fedora (promoting videos, presentation videos,
how-to videos) and post them at the wiki under the following address
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/videos . Although I don't know if we have
to host them in fedoraproject or we can simply post the link (for example
from youtube) to the wiki. Waiting for feedback.

--
Christos Bacharakis
cmpahar at fedoraproject.org
http://cmpahar.wordpress.com