eeedora 2.0 ?

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 13:34:11 UTC 2008

2008/8/13 Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com>

> I'm listening now to Linux Link Tech Show episode 257 [1] and around
> 28 minutes they start raving about Ubuntu eee version - eeebuntu the
> special "Netbook Remix". They loved it. You can see it in action on
> youtube [2].
>
> What is your oppinion about it?

I think it suffers from the fundamental design of assuming that it is a good
idea to near verbetum press the same OS experience into a 8.9" screen as I
use on my 20,1" screen. On a netbook I want one app filling the entire
screen as I use it, there shouldn't be windows to move around.. I mean why?

I recently had a chance to play with an eeePC and the default interface
really impressed me. Clean, organised, roughly, after tasks (not like Ubuntu
MID after application groups - e.g. where does email go.. internet or
office?) and when I use an application my machine is dedicated to it with an
easily visble way to slip back and pick a second fullscreen app.

I would much prefer something like Sugar on my upcoming netbook device to
this approach.

That being said I believe we have a deligent volunteer porting Ubuntu MID to
Fedora, and those efforts are naturally great, there will be people who like
this approach and offering it with Fedora branding and love would maybe help
Fedora serve those people and get us into the netbook market (more so than
Acer Aspire Ones Linpus Fedora based system already does).

- David