counting packages (was Re: Fedora Package Status of Aug 12, 2008)

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 19:44:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 01:35 +0200, Christian Iseli wrote:

> Owners stats:
>  - 6517 packages
>  - 10799 binary rpms in devel

Darn, I was afraid of that.  We are all perfectly aware that one package
(tarball + spec file) can yield more than one binary rpm.

So what are we counting when we count in public?  Does it matter that we
use the term "package" in two senses?

We've been counting binary rpms as the "number of packages that Fedora
has."

Do we need different terminology here?

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org