counting packages (was Re: Fedora Package Status of Aug 12, 2008)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 18:55:44 UTC 2008

2008/8/19 Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
>> Owners stats:
>>  - 6517 packages
>>  - 10799 binary rpms in devel
>
> Darn, I was afraid of that.  We are all perfectly aware that one package
> (tarball + spec file) can yield more than one binary rpm.

Would it be better to consistently start using a term like component
or module to indicate the tarball+spec+patchset entity...especially
since people are vectoring towards making it possible to work with
explode sources in our buildsystem without generating an srpm
'package' at all.

Yes those people may or may not be smoking crack.. but they appear to
be pretty serious about making it possible to work with some sort of
exploded tree as an option to srpms for some of the components we
maintain...can't really call an exploded tree a package.

-jef