Linux popularity across the globe

Angel angel.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 16:56:51 UTC 2008

*Linux popularity across the globe*:  http://royal.pingdom.com/?p=340

The Linux landscape is constantly changing and has a strong community of
both developers and users. But where is Linux the most popular, and where
are the different Linux distributions the most popular?

To try to answer these questions, we have looked at data from Google with
the highly useful Insights for Search, which gave us a number of interesting
and often surprising results.

Aside from just looking at Linux itself, we have included eight common Linux
distributions in this survey: Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Debian, Red Hat,
Mandriva, Slackware and Gentoo.

*Some interesting observations*:

    * Ubuntu is most popular in Italy and Cuba.
    * OpenSUSE is most popular in Russia and the Czech Republic.
    * Red Hat is most popular in Bangladesh and Nepal.
    * Debian is most popular in Cuba.
    * Cuba is in the top five (interest-wise) of three of the eight
distributions in this survey.
    * Indonesia is in the top five of four of the distributions.
    * Russia and the Czech Republic are in the top five of five of the
distributions.
    * The United States is not in the top five of any of the distributions.

Note again that when we say "popular" here, we mean how popular the search
term is. After all, this is based on Google search data.

*Countries with highest interest in Fedora*:

   1. Sri Lanka
   2. Bangladesh
   3. India
   4. Nepal
   5. Zimbabwe

Dig deeper into Google's search statistics for Fedora here.

Google Insights for search Linux:
http://www.google.com/insights/search/#cat=&q=linux&geo=&date=&clp=&cmpt=q

--
Angel