distributor spin

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Sun Aug 24 07:57:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008, Jason Benedict wrote:

> you can read out "linuxfromscratch" to learn all out how you can build
> a Linux from ground zero. With that know-how, then you can see how you
> want to do a package management system and update system and etc for
> your distro .
>
> i had created many distro(out of fun and learning)  from scratch
> myself and even had stripped RH8/9 or have rebuild with uclibc
> etc....but patented kinda not viable with all opensource GPL and alike
> licensing .... maybe only your invented propietary package management
> system and update system and system magement application........

I'm confused, is the parent trying to make a new distro, or to make a
custom respin of Fedora?

The first is hard, the second allows you to leverage our
already-existing infrastructure.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/CustomSpins
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo
https://fedorahosted.org/revisor