four f's iconography

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 01:15:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Jonathan Roberts
<jonrob at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Mostly, I guess. Tbh, I don't have much of a clue about these things, just
> my gut feeling! The only thing that still concerns me is that as a
> particular campaign, the feel of the four fs is a little too similar to that
> of f-i-v. Most campaigns integrate the existing brand into their new
> message, using well known logos coupled with new material. Wish I could come
> up with some examples...

I think we should be able to do this.  For instance the voice bubble
could be featured quite prominently in both the freedom and friends
concepts.  Infinity plays into both features and firsts, and freedom
is the obvious transition.  I don't necessarily see the new themes as
a replacement for the old logo concepts but more as a way to bring
those abstract ideals into a message that's easier to identify with.
The "old" slogans are kind of ivory tower (or hippie depending on your
viewpoint) like where as the new slogans more directly map to actions
and benefits for contributors and users.  Where ever possible I'd like
to try and reference the values when talking about any of our
achievements.  Say when we do a feature related to the creative
commons we can talk about how this new Feature (direct benefit to the
user) will aid artist in creating infinite combinations of content...
and their voice heard... you get the idea.

Russell