[Ambassadors] Policy RFC: Dealing with Media (and no I don't mean CD/DVDs)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:19:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 08:52 -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> What I fear is that at some point there something will rub someone the
> wrong way. I'd far rather have the opportunity to define the policy
> that gets applied to us than live with whatever policy is born out of
> reaction. That being said if the group consensus is that we remain
> laissez-faire then that's fine too.

David,

There's a good opportunity here for Ambassadors to work with the overall
Marketing group.  Ambassadors regularly speak to the public, since
that's part of the natural responsibilities they willingly take on.  In
dealing with print and broadcast media, of course it's very helpful for
Ambassadors to be thoroughly familiar with the Fedora marketing plan,
our overview, and general tips on how to be an effective interview
subject.

The idea is not to tie Ambassadors down so that they need approval for
local media contacts.  Rather, it's to make them confident in answering
tough questions like "Why should people care?" and "What makes Fedora
different?" in constructive, positive ways.  I think many Ambassadors do
this very well already, but like anything else it's a skill one
develops, and we can help each other develop that skill.

The Fedora Marketing group is always available to assist.  We should
encourage collaboration and partnership between Ambassadors and
Marketing overall to make our public contacts as meaningful, positive,
and cohesive as possible.
`
--
Paul W. Frields