The Face of Fedora Video Campaign

Máirí­n Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 17 22:19:40 UTC 2008

Jack Aboutboul wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> A number of times already we have discussed the development of a video
> series highlighting the members of our community.  The idea was
> suggested multiple times by multiple different people, each one with
> their own twist.  Now that the release is done, and FUDCon is coming up,
> I think we should discuss this in earnest.

I just wanted to point out that I have a lot of raw videos from the last
Boston FUDcon, and just a small selection of them were used in the video
I already produced in pitivi:

http://mihmo.livejournal.com/57168.html

I did solicit folks to send in their own video clips for a second video,
but I didn't receive any... :(

> 1. Concept: We have had 3-4 different suggestions on how this should be
> framed and maybe its time to solidify the idea. What do we end up naming
> it? Do we want to professionally produce it, or have user submitted
> videos?  Will we follow a general guideline for such videos or will it
> be freeform?  This will help people who end up
> shooting/editing/aggregating video have a clear definition of what needs
> to be filmed and how it needs to be edited.

I think one of the points of filming a video like this and getting a
cross-section of Fedora users and developers on camera is to show people
from all around the world and all different parts of the community. Some
of the feedback I got on the video linked above was, "Oh wow, I had no
idea <irc nick> was that person or how they looked before!" I think it's
cool to introduce people to each other this way and it would be quite
difficult to do this without accepting user-submitted video
contributions. I think maybe if we try to advertise that we are
accepting user-contributed videos, we should include a tutorial with
cheese and maybe a guide or link to a guide that talks about which
webcams work with Fedora and other ways of getting your homemade videos
submitted.

> 2. Content:  What do we want to have the people in the video, doing or
> saying.  What is the message?

I kind of like how it was done in the video above - your name, your irc
nick, what you work on, and "I am Fedora."

I don't know if any release forms or anything are needed to do this, but
I'd like to see the videos be explicitly openly licensed as well. (Does
anyone know more about release forms?)

> 3. Presentation: What is the Visual Motif?

I would like to see the video titles use the Fedora MgOpen Modata font,
I've been frustrated in the past when non-Fedora/non-Free Interstate was
used in Fedora videos.

It would be nice to subtitle the video too since we have so many folks
with different native languages involved in Fedora.

I think clean & simple is good to make the people the focus.

> Hopefully we can discuss this at the meeting tomorrow as well.

I'm hoping to make the meeting tomorrow but I'm not 100% sure I'll be
able to.

~m