Interview with HSIB

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 00:27:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 04:53:36PM +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I was interviewed by HowSoftwareIsBuilt.com a few weeks ago; the
> interview's transcript is online now;
>
> http://howsoftwareisbuilt.com/2008/12/21/interview-with-jeroen-van-meeuwen-fedora-project-vice-president-fedora-emea/

This was a very successful interview, I believe.  One small point that
I wanted to make for all ambassadors was the importance of finding the
positive points when answering a question.

In particular, the interviewer asked about user experience and whether
Fedora was more focused on upstream code.  Certainly we're not driven
to patch upstream code extensively to promote a specific user
experience *over* the upstream.  But when answering a question like
this, it's important to remember that many Fedora contributors are
active contributors to GNOME, KDE, and other upstreams like
NetworkManager, PackageKit, X.org, and many more projects that are
directly responsible for the Linux user experience.  In fact, the work
done upstream in these cases is much more directly responsible for
Linux usability than any one distribution.

That having been said, great job Jeroen!