Fedora 9 Alpha Release Marketing Plan WAS Re: Fedora 9 Marketing plan?

Kerrin Catallozzi kcatallo at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 14:49:47 UTC 2008

John Poelstra wrote:
> Kerrin Catallozzi said the following on 02/04/2008 02:58 PM Pacific Time:
>>>>

>>> Yeah that sounds awesome and would be much appreciated :)
>>>
>>> Looking forward to seeing it...
>>>
>>> Jon
>>>
>> Here is a quick first draft of the blog. Anyone is welcome to add in
>> edits or more details.
>> ---------------------------------
>> Help Shape Fedora 9: Alpha Release Now Available
>> by Fedora Team
>>
>> As Fedora (http://www.fedoraproject.org) contributors, the most
>> exciting part of the development process of new Fedora distributions
>> is determining which cool, new features will be included in the next
>> release. Fedora 9 is due out at the end of April 2008, and we started
>> making plans for it as soon as we released Fedora 8 back in November.
>> We’ve already begun to examine which changes and features we want
>> included in this release, and with the Fedora 9 Alpha release today,
>> it’s time for the whole community’s input.
>>
>> During each Fedora cycle, we have an Alpha release that gives everyone
>
> This is a great start.  Note, however, that the "Alpha release" is
> only the beginning of the testing cycle which has a primary focus of
> making sure the distro installs and runs.
>
> There will also be a beta release and a series of weekly snapshot
> releases.  More information can be found on the release engineering
> schedule:
> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-9/f-9-releng-tasks.html

Here's the latest version with all of the suggestions incorporated.
Would be great to have any final input by about 12pm ET so that we can
get this posted today.

-------------------
Help Shape Fedora 9: Alpha Release Now Available
by Fedora Team

As Fedora (http://www.fedoraproject.org) contributors, one of the most
exciting parts of the development process of new Fedora distributions is
determining which cool, new features will be included in the next
release. Fedora 9 is due out at the end of April 2008, and we started
making plans for it as soon as we released Fedora 8 back in November.
We've already begun to implement the changes and features we want
included in this release, and with the Fedora 9 Alpha release today,
it's time for the whole community's input.

During each Fedora cycle, there is an Alpha release, a Beta release and
a series of weekly snapshot releases.
(http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-9/f-9-releng-tasks.html)
The Alpha release gives everyone the opportunity to provide feedback on
the work that has been done so far as the first step in the testing
cycle. It's the first time that the larger Fedora community can get
really involved in testing out the new features and is encouraged to
provide input on what's working, and what's not. It's easy to gain
access to the Alpha release because you don't have to install any
software -- everything you need is provided through live CDs. Then, to
give us feedback, you can file bug reports and enhancement requests and
make other recommendations.

If you want to help us test and shape the next release of Fedora, you
can find details about the new features we're exploring, about how to
get involved in the Alpha release and about how to provide feedback and
get involved in the process by visiting our Fedora 9 Alpha release
notes. (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/Alpha/ReleaseNotes)
--
thanks,
Kerri