Alpha Release Day Metrics

Elio Tondo elio at tondo.it
Wed Feb 6 09:41:04 UTC 2008

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> Actually, has anyone considered that the site becoming unresponsive
> for a while could have reduced the number of people digging? There was
> this /. comment: "provided by google since Fedora's server is
> overloaded right now)" I don't know how long this lasted for or
> anything, but its a possible explanation?

Probably. I already noticed very long response times in the last few
weeks; this happens often but not always, and looks like some sort of
server overload. By the way, I take the occasion for introducing myself
after I joined the Ambassadors group. You can find some information
about me here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ElioTondo and even if you
can see that I'm definitely older than the average Fedora contributor, I
share with you the same commitment to the success of this wonderful
distribution. I decided to join the Ambassadors group because I will
probably have chances in the near future to promote OSS and specifically
Linux, and I want to try to contribute to Fedora success. As an example,
  I am consulting for a company doing high-volume courseware and I am
currently pushing towards using Fedora as the "example distro" in the
Linux section of a general purpose IT course they are designing right
now, and I will speak at an OSS conference in the next months, organized
by Mensa Italy http://mensa.it/ and Consip, a company of the Italian
Ministry of Finance http://www.consip.it/ (and hopefully in other events
later).

Coming back to the performance issues, I just had a 35s (!) response
time when going from my Wiki page through the link at the bottom to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CategoryAmbassadorsItaly (the same time a
few minutes ago); then I tried to go to the category home page
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CategoryHomepage and I had to stop the
browser after two minutes (!!); then I retried and reached the page
after 50 seconds. Actually it looks like the Wiki is the problem, since
the home page http://fedoraproject.org/ is loaded quickly, but trying to
go to any Wiki page takes often around 30s or more (sometimes it times
out, sometimes I get also an Internal server error).

I think that these response times can be discouraging for users trying
to get information about Fedora, and any effort aimed to understand and
fix the problem will enhance Fedora visibility. BTW, I just tried the
Ubuntu site (I don't like Ubuntu and it's a long time since my last
visit there) and I found it lightning fast. I think that Fedora deserves
  more infrastructure power to avoid being considered a poorly
performing distro.

Elio