making the website better

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 18:04:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 08:16 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> > Yep, I'm all about having less information on the wiki and more on the
> > website.  But the front page isn't the place to load up on stuff.  Compare
> > these two websites.
> >
> > http://www.google.com/
> > http://www.debian.org/
>
> How are you comparing the mission of fedoraproject.org and google.com?

I'm comparing the interface.  Debian's is a disaster.  With over 100 links
on that page.  I'll revert back to my favorite Einstein quote:

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes
a touch of genius  - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite
direction."

And what I mean by that is that its VERY hard to say things in fewer
words.  Its very hard to keep the interface clean and concise.  I just
didn't want people saying "this should be on the front page" because that's
what we did for the wiki.  We need more things out of the wiki and into
the main web repository.  But careful thought needs to be given to what
we're saying and what we're trying to do.

That, unfortunately, takes a website vision that we just don't have.  If
everyone has a different opinion of what they think the website should be,
we'll end up with a messy page that we'll have to re-do again.
Unfortunately proper UI people are few and far between :(

	-Mike