Windows -> Fedora -> Windows

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Feb 21 12:25:14 UTC 2008

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> <snip>
>> So probably the main reasons were:
>> - users familiar with Windows at home resist change;
>> - no laptops with Linux (Fedora in their case) pre-installed by the OEM.
>
> Yeah I got but then further on they complain about windows again.  My
> question is that further on they start to complain about windows all
> over again so really what have they gained?

It seems like the IS manager, the person interviewed, had no problem
with Linux and was quite happy with it but had troubles with teachers
requesting Windows.

Things are like this in my experience: when users have a problem with
Windows they blame Microsoft and then give up, as "everybody uses it"
and "this is the way things work".
But when the users have a problem with Linux they blame the person who
deployed Linux, "it was easier with Windows", "this Linux thing is not
like Windows and it sucks", "give me back my trusted Windows".

What have they gained? They silenced some revolted users.