Fwd: news.fp.o

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Feb 22 14:06:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 21:40 -0500, Jeffrey Tadlock wrote:
> 2008/2/21 Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
> >  Can someone point me at the needs list?
> >
> >  I ask because fundamentally, a blog engine (WordPress) and a CMS system
> >  (Drupal) are very different.
>
> The requested features are listed in the ticket here:
>
> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/178

Thanks.  Based on my experience with WordPress:

      * Allow multiple editors [WP stand-alone does this]
      * Allow anyone to submit a news story with editors approving it
        [Requires outside email interface, e.g.
        editors]
      * Rich content and not just text [WP handles this fine]
      * Ability to comment on stories [WP++]
      * Toggle between allowing comments anonymously, registered users
        only or none at all system wide or at a per story level [Not
        sure if this is easy to implement, but most likely is in the
        base or a plugin]
      * Search [WP seems to work]
      * Multiple tags/categories [WP++]
      * Calendar and archives [Calendar as in something to edit with
        events, etc.?  Maybe a WP plugin?  WP archives fine]
      * RSS feeds for upcoming events, stories and comments [WP
        categories make great feeds]
      * Automatically highlight popular content - Today or all time
        based on page views and/or comments [A plugin?  Not in base WP
        afaik]

The features required seem to match well with a blog, though, if the
right plugins can be found.  A CMS can handle all that as well, but the
complexity can get in the way of a blog user's ability to quickly
publish and update.  A blog is freer in the way a wiki is freer, that
is, sacrificing richer control over everything for richer freedom to act
quickly and decisively.

Where a CMS makes most sense is in document repositories that are meant
to be designed, organized, archived, searched across, and have multiple
owners of pieces over the course of time.  News can use those features,
but it's key driver is timeliness and accuracy.  Lightweight tooling
achieves this.

</analysis>
- Karsten
--