ubuntu marketing

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 22:42:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Marc Wiriadisastra <marc at mwiriadi.id.au> wrote:
>  I have to agree with Jef on this. +1 from me. Yes I use the ati drivers
>  and the flash plugin but I make sure I use open source ones every
>  release to see if it's fixed and post appropriate bugs. I did this with
>  the ipw3945 iwl3945 and now I don't need the ipw3945 drivers.  This is
>  important because the bugs people report help the dev's fix the issues.

This is the big cultural shift tha we need to find a way to
communicate....to market.

Everything in the technical laypress culture is about...consumption.
Everything is treated like 'bits in a box.' We have to change this. We
have to market the process of collaboration.  That's the secret that
we need to whisper into the ears of technojournals. Yes the bits are
important, the bits are cool, but the secret sauce is the partnership
between users and developers that drives things forward. That's the
story we need people out there telling.

Fedora as the active and vital meeting place between users and
developers... not Fedora the 'bits in a box' that comes out every 6
months.    The 6 month releases an important part of that dialog...
but its not the dialog.  We have to find a way to get stories about
upstream projects working through Fedora to advance their
development...Fedora as the path to a better tomorrow.  We need to get
technojounals talking about individual upstream projects, and get
upstream projects praising us as helping them connect with users to
drive development forward.

-jef