ubuntu marketing

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 06:39:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>
>  > Plus if you look at reviews of linux distributions most of them have a
>  > category "How easy is it to go to youtube and watch videos" because that
>  > is what desktop users do and expect from any desktop.
>
>  Here are some truths that I hold dear.  I believe that they are
>  *fundamental* truths of the Fedora project.
>
>  1. It's not always easy to be true *free software* advocates.  We take the
>  good with the bad.
>
>  2. The people we care most about are people who care about advancing the
>  best of *free software*.
>
>  3. Ubuntu is already catering to users who are willing to sacrifice
>  freedom for the sake of *marginal* usability advantage.  There's really no
>  reason for us to follow them down that path.  Will it cost us users?  It
>  certainly will.  But we are *extremely* competitive with Ubuntu when it
>  comes to *contributors* -- and it's *contributors* who change the world.
>
>  Let Spaceman worry about being popular.  Let's concern ourselves with
>  being right, and being productive -- even when it's difficult.
>
>  "Fedora -- Ubuntu's more responsible older brother."

I don't know how ubuntu deals with flash as I don't use it, and I
don't care. I care because I use fedora and I, as much as I would like
to, can't use fedora without flash player installed from adobe :(

Until others great projects like swf-dec or gnash become a working
soultion (and also free and oss versions, and patent free versions of
multimedia codecs) we need not-perfect solution. Is codeina a perfect
solution, it is not... but stil it serves a great purpose of making
fedora a better desktop.

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/