ubuntu marketing

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 07:36:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Marc Wiriadisastra <marc at mwiriadi.id.au> wrote:
>  >  I have to agree with Jef on this. +1 from me. Yes I use the ati drivers
>  >  and the flash plugin but I make sure I use open source ones every
>  >  release to see if it's fixed and post appropriate bugs. I did this with
>  >  the ipw3945 iwl3945 and now I don't need the ipw3945 drivers.  This is
>  >  important because the bugs people report help the dev's fix the issues.
>

>  This is the big cultural shift tha we need to find a way to
>  communicate....to market.
>
>  Everything in the technical laypress culture is about...consumption.
>  Everything is treated like 'bits in a box.' We have to change this. We
>  have to market the process of collaboration.  That's the secret that
>  we need to whisper into the ears of technojournals. Yes the bits are
>  important, the bits are cool, but the secret sauce is the partnership
>  between users and developers that drives things forward. That's the
>  story we need people out there telling.
>
>  Fedora as the active and vital meeting place between users and
>  developers... not Fedora the 'bits in a box' that comes out every 6
>  months.    The 6 month releases an important part of that dialog...
>  but its not the dialog.  We have to find a way to get stories about
>  upstream projects working through Fedora to advance their
>  development...Fedora as the path to a better tomorrow.  We need to get
>  technojounals talking about individual upstream projects, and get
>  upstream projects praising us as helping them connect with users to
>  drive development forward.

Jeff this sound great, but can this be also communicated directly to
fedora userbase?

Right now people new to fedora come to fedora website (or at some
fedora booth at a conference), download or copy fedora cd/dvd, install
it, try to surf and when they come to some flash site they get an
error while flash player fails to install. They generally conclude
that fedora "sucks". They don't see this message you are saying.

It would be nice if you and others see this as an issue and also try
to communicate somehow directly to fedora users vs. indirectly via
some marketing and press releases which new fedora users rarely see.

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic