What are we doing wrong? WAS Re: ubuntu marketing

Jonathan Roberts jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 23 16:15:30 UTC 2008

> We fix the problem by
>  standing here and reminding people that Europe is not immune to this
>  threat. It's real damn easy to pretend the problem is just a US
>  issue...its not. Its a looming legal issue everywhere. We don't win
>  long term by ignoring it.  We'll have this same discussion every
>  single release cycle.. and I'm okay with that. Patents are the biggest
>  problem facing the open source ecosystem, and I'd rather have Fedora
>  stand here and be a beacon for rational, passionate, discussion on the
>  issue, than to just side step the issue for the sake of collecting a
>  few more users in our userbase.
>

>  I do not need to beat another linux distribution in terms of users for
>  Fedora to achieve is core goals of fostering open innovation.
>  I need 'enough' users... i need 'enough' upstream developers.. i need
>  'enough' maintainers.. I need 'enough' triagers... I need 'enough'
>  artists... I need 'enough writers...I need 'enough' translators....
>  and give them 'enough' open infrastructure by which to communicate as
>  partners in the process of open innovation.
>
>  What I don't need is proprietary software.
>
>  I don't need to be greedy for Fedora to reach its prime objectives. I
>  am perfectly okay with other distribution existing and being popular.
>  The future of ALL linux distributions runs through what is happening
>  as part of Fedora...and I'm perfectly happy with that.

OK, how about we try and turn this thread into some positive energy!?

What's been said, that Fedora is here to take a stand and to help try
and change the legal issues that cause problems for those of us who
want to be creative and share with each other, is very true. I believe
that the majority of Fedora's contributing community are here and
taking part because they support this view. Jef's also said that this
conversation comes up during every release cycle - and even I've been
around long enough to see that this is true - so we must be doing
something wrong, somewhere, in communicating this part of our mission
to the outside world and newer members of our community.

The questions I now have are:

* Where are we going wrong currently?
* How can we make changes to improve this?

The best selling point, imho, for free software is the freedom's that
it affords us. Likewise, Fedora's strongest selling point is the stand
it takes to help defend and make these freedoms available to anybody
who wants them. So how can we promote this better? I might reply to my
own thread in a while with my thoughts on this!

Best wishes,

Jon