Fedora TV is ready to go!

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 7 19:14:06 UTC 2008

I've attached the announcement I've drafted for my blog below.
Opinions are welcome :) I'd also like to push this to f-announce-list
too, if possible. In a short while too, I was going to create a video
to stick in the channel saying welcome - though it won't be any thing
exciting, just my ugly mug recorded via my webcam, any brighter ideas
are welcome!

Best,

Jon

---------------------

What is it?

A way for our community to easily share video and audio related to
Fedora with each other - the mechanism we've chosen to do this is an
RSS feed that also exists as a channel in Miro.

How do I watch?

You can install Miro and subscribe to the Fedora TV channel. You can
also add the RSS feed to any feed reader or suitable podcatching
client. I'm personally using Banshee for my podcast needs these days
as it has great video support and if you're a Gnome user is really
nice to use :)

The feed URL is http://jonrob.fedorapeople.org/fedora-tv.xml

Can I submit my own videos?

Yes! We want this to be a community channel where any Fedora community
members can submit their content. So if you've created a screen cast
tutorial, an interview, a podcast, a promo video or anything else
Fedora related we want you to submit it to us. The only conditions for
it's inclusion in the feed is that it's:

   1. on topic
   2. in an open format such as OGG Theora/Vorbis
   3. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike license

To let us know about your video head over to our Trac instance where
you can login with your FAS account details and file a new ticket for
each video you'd like to include. This way we can review your
submission to make sure the above conditions are all met. If we decide
that a video isn't suitable, we'll let you know in the ticket so all
conversations of this manner are open and everyone can have their
voices heard :)

At the moment you need to find somewhere to keep your video file as we
don't have dedicated hosting. For the time being, you might want to
try using your Fedora People space.

What still needs doing?

A better way for us to update the feed. At the minute I maintain the
feed, and as you can imagine this is not entirely ideal. We'd like to
fix this and find an automatic way for this to happen, but we can
tackle that in the future.

A better place for feed videos to be stored.

I'd also really like to have a place to tie all of our marketing
activities together, and I hope we'll have this in the not too distant
future.

What do I plan to do for the channel?

My usual series of developer interviews. Yeah, I'm original, I know...
I challenge everyone else in the community to come up with something
better!